SAN FRANCISCO, Feb. 23, 2023 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — Opendoor Technologies Inc. (Nasdaq: OPEN), a leading e-commerce platform for residential real estate transactions, today reported financial results for its fourth quarter and year ended December 31, 2022. Opendoor’s fourth quarter and year-end 2022 financial results and management commentary can be accessed through the Company’s shareholder letter on the “Quarterly Reports” page of Opendoor’s investor relations website at https://investor.opendoor.com.
“2022 affirmed our conviction in what we are building – the most trusted e-commerce platform for residential real estate that will enable consumers to buy, sell, and move at the tap of a button. Customers come to Opendoor because they crave the certainty and convenience of our cash offer that they can’t get anywhere else. Even in this moment of high spreads, we are able to convert over 10% of real sellers and earn an NPS of nearly 80,” said Carrie Wheeler, CEO of Opendoor.
Wheeler continued, “As we enter 2023, our new book of homes is outperforming our expectations, and we’re pacing ahead of selling our older book of homes. We are focused on operating with excellence and leaning into our core strengths – the incredible power of our seller product, our unique pricing and operations capabilities, and our strong balance sheet – to emerge from this year stronger and more resilient than we’ve ever been.”
Full Year 2022 Key Highlights
- Total revenue of $15.6 billion, up 94% versus 2021; with 39,183 homes sold, up 80% versus 2021
- Gross profit of $667 million, which reflects an inventory valuation adjustment on homes remaining in inventory at year end of $458 million; Gross Margin of 4.3%, versus 9.1% in 2021
- Net loss of $(1.4) billion, versus $(662) million in 2021
- Adjusted Net Loss of $(574) million, versus $(116) million in 2021
- Contribution Profit of $525 million, inline with 2021; Contribution Margin of 3.4%, versus 6.5% in 2021
- Adjusted EBITDA of $(168) million, versus $58 million in 2021; Adjusted EBITDA Margin of (1.1)%, versus 0.7% in 2021
- Purchased 34,962 homes, versus 36,908 homes in 2021
- Entered into a multi-year partnership with Zillow, Inc. in July 2022 to enable home sellers on the Zillow platform to seamlessly request an Opendoor offer to sell their home
- In November, introduced our third-party (3P) product offering, which directly connects buyers and sellers of a home
- Launched 9 new markets in 2022, bringing our total footprint to over 50 markets
Fourth Quarter 2022 Key Highlights
- Revenue of $2.9 billion, down (25)% versus 4Q21; with 7,512 total homes sold, down (23)% versus 4Q21
- Gross profit of $71 million, which reflects an inventory valuation adjustment on homes remaining in inventory at year end of $73 million; Gross Margin of 2.5%, versus 7.1% in 4Q21
- Net loss of $(399) million, versus $(191) million in 4Q21
- Adjusted Net Loss of $(467) million, versus $(80) million in 4Q21
- Contribution (Loss) Profit of $(207) million, versus $152 million in 4Q21; Contribution Margin of (7.2)%, versus 4.0% in 4Q21
- Adjusted EBITDA of $(351) million, versus $0.4 million in 4Q21; Adjusted EBITDA Margin of (12.3)%, versus breakeven in 4Q21
- Inventory balance of 12,788 homes, representing $4.5 billion in value, down (27)% versus 4Q21
- Purchased 3,427 homes, down (64)% versus 4Q21
- Ended the quarter with 1,011 homes under contract for purchase, down (81)% versus 4Q21
2023 Financial Outlook
- 1Q23 revenue guidance of $2.45 billion to $2.65 billion
- 1Q23 Adjusted EBITDA1 guidance of $(350) million to $(370) million
Conference Call and Webcast Details
Opendoor will host a conference call to discuss its financial results on February 23, 2023, at 2:00 p.m. Pacific Time. A live webcast of the call can be accessed from Opendoor’s Investor Relations website at https://investor.opendoor.com. An archived version of the webcast will be available from the same website after the call.
Opendoor’s mission is to power life’s progress, one move at a time. Since 2014, Opendoor has provided people across the U.S. with a simple way to buy and sell a home. Opendoor currently operates in a growing number of markets nationwide.
For more information, please visit www.opendoor.com.
Forward Looking Statements
This press release contains certain forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995, as amended. All statements contained in this press release that do not relate to matters of historical fact should be considered forward-looking, including statements regarding the health of our financial condition, anticipated future results of operations and financial performance, priorities of the Company to achieve future goals, Company’s ability to continue to effectively navigate the markets in which it operates, anticipated future and ongoing impacts of our acquisitions and other business decisions, health of our balance sheet to weather ongoing market transitions, Company’s ability to adopt an effective approach to manage economic and industry risk, as well as inventory health; business strategy and plans, including any plans to expand into additional markets, market opportunity and expansion and objectives of management for future operations, including our statements regarding the benefits and timing of the roll out of new markets, products or technology; and the expected diversification of funding sources. These forward-looking statements generally are identified by the words “anticipate”, “believe”, “contemplate”, “continue”, “could”, “estimate”, “expect”, “forecast”, “future”, “guidance”, “intend”, “may”, “might”, “opportunity”, “outlook”, “plan”, “possible”, “potential”, “predict”, “project”, “should”, “strategy”, “strive”, “target”, “vision”, “will”, or “would”, any negative of these words or other similar terms or expressions. The absence of these words does not mean that a statement is not forward-looking. Forward-looking statements are predictions, projections and other statements about future events that are based on current expectations and assumptions and, as a result, are subject to risks and uncertainties that can cause actual results to differ materially from those in such forward-looking statements. The factors that could cause or contribute to actual future events to differ materially from the forward-looking statements in this press release include but are not limited to: the current and future health and stability of the economy, financial conditions and residential housing market, including any extended downturn or slowdown; changes in general economic and financial conditions (including federal monetary policy, interest rates, inflation, actual or anticipated recession, home price fluctuations, and housing inventory) that may reduce demand for our products and services, lower our profitability or reduce our access to future financings; actual or anticipated fluctuations in our financial condition and results of operations; changes in projected operational and financial results; investment of resources to pursue strategies and develop new products and services that may not prove effective or that are not attractive to customers and/or partners or that do not allow us to compete successfully; the duration and impact of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic (including variants) or other public health crises on our ability to operate, demand for our products or services, or general economic conditions; addition or loss of a significant number of customers; acquisitions, strategic partnerships, joint ventures, capital-raising activities or other corporate transactions or commitments by us or our competitors; actual or anticipated changes in technology, products, markets or services by us or our competitors; ability to protect our brand and intellectual property; ability to obtain or maintain licenses and permits to support our current and future business operations; ability to operate and grow our 1P and 3P core business products, including the ability to obtain sufficient financing and resell purchased homes; our ability to grow market share in our existing markets or any new markets we may enter; our ability to manage our growth effectively; our ability to access sources of capital, including debt financing and securitization funding to finance our real estate inventories and other sources of capital to finance operations and growth; our ability to maintain and enhance our products and brand, and to attract customers; our ability to manage, develop and refine our technology platform, including our automated pricing and valuation technology; our success in retaining or recruiting, or changes required in, our officers, key employees and/or directors; the impact of the regulatory environment within our industry and complexities with compliance related to such environment; the impact of natural disasters and other catastrophic events; changes in laws or government regulation affecting our business; and the impact of pending or future litigation or regulatory actions. The foregoing list of factors is not exhaustive. You should carefully consider the foregoing factors and the other risks and uncertainties described under the caption “Risk Factors” in our most recent Annual Report on Form 10-K filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission (the “SEC”) on February 23, 2023, as updated by our periodic reports and other filings with the SEC. These filings identify and address other important risks and uncertainties that could cause actual events and results to differ materially from those contained in the forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements speak only as of the date they are made. Readers are cautioned not to put undue reliance on forward-looking statements, and, except as required by law, we assume no obligation and do not intend to update or revise these forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events, or otherwise. We do not give any assurance that we will achieve our expectations.
Sheila Tran / Charles Stewart